Waiting and enduring is extremely hard. But I promise you–weaning ourselves off the ways of this world and onto the richness of God’s glory is worth it. Do not grow weary in the wait.
We were created with a desire to be happy. There is nothing wrong with this desire. We do not need to repress or deny it. The problem, however, is we are far too easily satisfied with the things of this world. We sell short, rather than holding out for the greater reward.
You were made for more. There is more. But will you believe it with all of your heart? Will you live it out with all of your might?
When we dig deep into God’s Word, we quickly see that God’s way are counter-intuitive to our own. His ways are different from the ways of this world. Here are just a few examples:
- God rewards those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6, “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
- It is better to give than to receive. Acts 20:35, “In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
- Suffering is worth it. Philippians 3:8, “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
- Heaven is real. John 20:29, “Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
- God wants your joy to be full and complete. John 15:11, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”
- God wants to give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4,“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
God wants you to be happy. He wants to be your greatest treasure. He wants to make your joy complete in Him. God is not about less satisfaction, less happiness, less joy…He is all about more. And the only way we will get there is by experiencing God in His Word and in prayer.
Be honest with yourself today. Is God your greatest delight? Do you really want to know God more? Spend some time reflecting and going to the throne room in prayer.