Puzzling. I know. I have tried to read into what God is doing, scratched my head a few times and even bent over backwards to try to discern the voice of God. Honestly, it’s not all that simple.
Sure…it would be great if God could send us a text message every once in awhile to tell us whether or not we are heading in the right direction. Or how about a billboard telling us how many miles left to go?
I admit. I wish it was that easy. I wish God would just show up at my door step much like he did with Abraham and Sarah (see Genesis 18 for more) and tell me what it is He wants me to do.
But God doesn’t work like that.
He is not a mathematical equation.
Or a rubik’s cube.
Or a game of monopoly.
You don’t just roll the dice or guess to try to discern, “Hey God, What in the World are You Up To?”
No…you see…God is all about calling us into relationship. He wants to spend time with you and me. He wants us to see we will truly only be satisfied when we heed to His voice. We must believe…God does still speak today.
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27
How do we discern God’s voice?
- STAY CONNECTED. Read God’s Word regularly. Make it a priority. We often wait to talk to God until something monster-size comes tumbling our way. What about the little things? Guess what? God cares about those things too.
- LISTEN & OBEY. We often hear God…but fail to do what He says. We only want to do things that are pleasing to our palette. I think we often get stuck right here. We get frustrated because we don’t like what God tells us to do.
- PUT EMOTIONS ASIDE. We can get caught up in such a frenzy. However, our emotions cannot always think clearly. Emotions can be derailing. Ask God to give you wisdom because He promises us that He will. See James 1:5
- LOOK AROUND. Where do you see God working? Have there been any providential circumstances? In other words, a repetitive message or occurrence? There are no accidents with God. Consider if God is speaking to you by what is repeatedly or unexplainably occurring right on your front door (so to speak).
- TALK TO GOD. By all means…talk, talk, talk. Seek God with all your heart, soul & strength…and then you will find Him. (See Deuteronomy 4:29). We must be diligent. If we want to find God, we must seek Him with all we’ve got.
- PACKAGE IT PRETTY. When we put all the pieces together after diligently seeking, praying, waiting and reflecting on the activity around us…and the peace of God comes…then we can proceed knowing full-well that God is leading us.
The reason hearing from God is complicated is NOT because God is withholding His will…it’s because our will has become overpowering.
Pray this with me today…
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
How are you struggling to hear God’s voice? Any new insight gained today?